Osprey Wargames presents In Her Majesty’s Name: Steampunk Skirmish Wargaming Rules. Looking forward to seeing how the rules deal with the wild steam-powered technology that forms the backbone of Steampunk. Not planning on holding my breath, the book's not due until March 2013.
Osprey's offering is certainly welcome however there is no shortage of Steampunk/VSF rule sets:
- The popular and revered G.A.S.L.I.G.H.T. rules support a wide range of adventures from Victorian Weird Science to Rayguns and Rocketships pulp.
- Adamant Entertainment offers both The Imperial Age series (d20 based) for Victorian Adventure and MARS (d20, Savage Worlds) for Barsoomian amusements.
- Speaking of interplanetary colonialism, the venerable Space:1889 covers Ether-space from Mecury to Mars and all points between.
- Blacksburg Tactical Research Center brings us Verne for their EABA system. Verne is well-grounded in both the fiction and the fact of the Victorian Era. As a bonus they provide a free character generator.
- From Cubicle 7 comes Victoriana and Abney Park's Airship Pirates. Victoriana blends classic RPG magic and fantasy with Victorian Romanticism while Abney Park's Airship Pirates looks to a dystopian Neo-Victorian future based on the band's music.
Check out the blog links to see what games people like. As for myself, I use a mash-up of Two Hour Wargames rules including Colonial Adventures and Larger Than Life. I've even thrown in All Things Zombie on occasion.